If you want to grow to over 7,000 North American restaurant locations and don’t want to wreck the earth while you’re at it, design a responsible restaurant! Or at least, that’s Chipotle Mexican Grill’s approach.
Recently Chipotle announced a new all-electric restaurant design that aims to maximize energy efficiency in its equipment and systems—including having over 100 new locations utilize all-electric equipment in 2024—and utilizes 100% renewable energy.
- Some of the renewable energy comes from wind and solar. However, some is through the purchase of certified renewable energy credits, which is a hotly contested topic.
The new restaurant design also aims to help Chipotle reduce direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by 2030 (compared to a 2019 baseline).
A few key features of the new restaurant designs include:
- Rooftop solar panels
- Electric vehicle charging stations at select locations
- All-electric equipment and systems to replace gas power
- Biodegradable service ware such as cutlery, straws, bowls, cups, and lids
- Artwork made from recycled rice husks
Chipotle plans to iterate on the new design as operational feedback and insights become available.
What do you think of the new restaurant design?